Why custom rom/root? Main reason: Custom dns server, change dns to a custom dns service website, And you can watch Netflix USA, or other regions.
Netflix with custom DNS is almost impossible these days, and rooting the first gen chromecast with firmware 17977 or below are rare.
First of all,
What do you need?
- Chromecast (UNUSED, NEVER CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET!!) Cc’s from the store are shipped with old firmware 17977 or lower, the newest firmware cannot be rooted. With internet, Google will automatically update your cc to the newest firmware version.
- OTG Host Power Splitter Y cable USB: http://goo.gl/J8vvck
- ATmega32U4 based micro controller: http://goo.gl/bkiMyd
- Usb thumb drive 1 GB or bigger.
- Install the Arduino IDE software.
- Install Arduino Builder.
- Reboot computer.
Prepare hardware – Arduino:
Connect the arduino to your pc. Go to device manager to see which port the arduino will use. In my case, it’s com port 7.
Start Arduino builder Select Arduino Leonardo as Board type. Click on “Load Sketch / HEX” And load LEONARDO_16664.hex
The .hex file is loaded on the arduino!
- Pull your arduino from your computer.
Prepare hardware – Usb thumbdrive:
- Insert usb drive in computer.
- Format the usb drive (FAT32)
- Install Win32DiskImager and open it.
- The “Device” should be the drive letter of the usb drive.
- Click on the blue folder icon.
In the right lower corner click on “Disk Images (.img*.IMG) and select *.*, to see all files
- Now load the hubcap-flashcast.bin file and use the “Write” button to write the .bin file on the usb drive.
It’s time to root, UNPLUG YOUR INTERNET!
If the chromecast connect to your wifi network, it something went wrong the cc will be automatic updated to latest (UNROOTABLE) firmware. So unplug internet before you are beginning the root process.
When the rooting process is done, i also connected the chromecast to this network.
What i did: Made a wifi hotspot with my android tablet, also connected my android phone to the tablet wifi hotspot. Now we have a new wifi network, without internet.
Connect all cables as in the following picture.
This is the second picture, when the arduino part is done, and the usb drive is connected:
And watch my video how to actual complete the root process. A video is worth a thousand words 🙂
Checking if you have actual flashed the Eureka-rom:
Open the Chromecast app, follow the in-app connecting steps.
Scroll to the bottom, to see the chromecast IP address.
Open your internet browser and go to the ip address of the chromecast. Like: http://192.168.x.x
If you see the Team-Eureka Webpanel, then you are 100% ROOTED!!
Do you have other intention with your Arduino after rooting your chromecast? Then you must follow the next steps.
Connect the arduino on your windows computer and the arduino will appear for about 8 seconds in windows device manager, remember the COM port the arduino is using.
Unpack the .rar to a easy accessible, like C:/
Use windows command line (Windows Key + R -> ENTER – > cmd -> ENTER)
Navigate to c:/axloader This is the command –>> cd c:\axloader
Copy/pas this command in command line, fill in your own COM port, mine was 7.. AND DO NOT PRESS ENTER!
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -c avr109 -P COM8 -U flash:w:Blink.hex -v
Now the tricky part.
Use something metal to short the GND & RST pin on the arduino.
When you will do this, the arduino will disconnect, and connect to your computer, in the following 8 seconds, press the ENTER key to execute the command above.
High five! The arduino is normal again! 🙂
If you will wait more then 8 seconds, the arduino will load the Chromecast ROOT program, and you are not be able anymore to upload the code. If this is the case, short the 2 pins again 🙂